Thursday, August 28, 2014

Echo color studies with a virtual warp

I have been doing a lot of thinking about the echo weave color choices and which would be best.  There is great information on pg 38 of Marian's book "Weaving with Echo and Iris."  She says to use 4 colors that follow the color wheel:
     1. red, or a color that uses red, for example purple or orange
     2.  blue or a color that contains blue
     3. green or a color related to green
     4. yellow, or one that is related to yellow

Marian also says that a combination of 3 analogous colors and their compliment would also work well... of course, this also follows the rules to the above 4 colors if you use them all!

Keeping all these guidelines in mind, here are some combinations I came up with while playing in the paint program:




My favorite so far was combination #3.  I made a warp using colors from #3.  Marian also suggests grouping your colors in order that they would appear on the color wheel.  The way they are in the picture would follow this rule.

Here is my virtual practice warp following combination #3:



I wanted to see what this one would look like with different wefts:

 
Here are some experimental wefts for my virtual warp close-up:

red



orange




yellow



green



blue




purple




Honestly, I am not a purple person, but I really like the purple warp.  I wonder if it's because it's 1. different from all the other colors involved, and 2.  brings out the complimentary blue color.  Also, it's dark and makes the other colors pop.

This has been a fun virtual warp journey!  It really gets me thinking about my next warp.  Of course, I'm going to use what colors I have on hand, but I think I understand the colors a little bit better than before.

And a little bit of David to complete your day!