Monday, August 18, 2014

Weaving with Echo and Iris

I couldn't wait to dig into my new book!







But I have no idea what I'm doing or what it's saying to do yet!

It's very complicated.

I decided I needed a base to start, so I found the very VERY basic draft on pg 5 and decided it was a good place to start.  I studied it very carefully, and then I put it into a weaving program:



It still didn't make a whole lot of sense to me, so I zoomed out:


Very pretty!

Then I threaded my loom.  The threading made a lot more sense once I dug into it.  At first, I was a little intimidated by it, but you basically have an odd shaft group (1-3-5-7) and an even shaft group (2-4-6-8).  Each threading starts with the 1-3-5-7, then does the even numbers 2-4-6-8.  Then, it goes back to the odd grouping and drops the first shaft number to the end, 3-5-7-1, and then the opposite, with the same first shaft dropping to the end: 4-6-8-2.  It just keeps rotating around and around like this until it's back to the beginning with only 8 total rotations.


Just a 2 yard sample to see how it acts!  There is so much in this book, this is a good place to start!

Teaching part-time, weaving, and having an infant at home is a very demanding set of tasks to accomplish!  I am enjoying working part-time a lot.  My week is over by Tuesday evening!  YES!  I love it!  I would prefer to stay home full-time with David, but since I have to work, I feel that by working part-time I get the best of both worlds.

By the way, daddy dressed David on this work day... I guess it's a good thing I'm home 5 days a week!

Poor kid...