Friday, December 12, 2014

David's Stocking

In our family, stockings are serious business.


When my sister's kids were born back in 2001 and 2002, I made it my job to make their Christmas stockings!  Here they are years and years later, hung by the fire with care...


I knew as soon as I got pregnant, I would need to make my baby a stocking.  I fretted about it for MONTHS because I took it so seriously!  I thought I needed to come up with a completely original idea, but my hubby kindly reminded me that I could repeat a Rudolph or Frosty and nobody would know!  So, I went with Rudolph!  Here is the pattern I drew up:



I was so happy when I came up with this idea!  I decided to do wool applique, and in order for it to stay together even better, I used some of the iron on stuff that would stick the two layers together.  I used it for everything but the snow.  Hopefully the snow will stay on ok! 

Here is the outside finished:


The outside is made of 100% wool, but it's not my handwoven wool.  It's pieces of old sweaters, jackets, and other wool things we got from thrift stores and felted in the washer and dryer.  We have made plenty of things from these scraps!  The inside liner is going to be made of handwoven perle cotton pinwheels.  It is in the works right now!  I am weaving it from two shades of green in thick and thin yarn.  I will probably use iron-on interfacing to make sure it holds together nicely!






And if this wasn't enough to make it awesome for my very first born child, I decided to put lights into it!  I used conductive thread and small leds.  I also used a programmable circuit board so I can make the lights blink however I want them to blink!  It turns on by the press of a button in the collar.  You can see it here in this video:
  



David is going to love it!