Our fellow flight friends are having their first baby in Oct and it's a boy! I knew they would have a flight theme for their baby's room, so I instantly started brainstorming! I didn't have a pattern, so this quilt idea came from my head. I machine quilted it, and it's full of mistakes but still turned out really cute! I used flannel in the middle instead of batting and I sewed it into a pouch and turned it so it's bindingless. It also has two weaving scraps in it!
I knew it would be cute so I made two, one for them and one for us!
It's sized for use with hot wheels cars, planes, and helicopters. It can be used right away or later as a playmat.
My goal here was to make a blanket out of stash yarn for our baby due on Thanksgiving day (Nov 24th)! We don't know if it's a boy or girl yet, but I feel that this blanket would work well with either one. I used 8/4 cotton from Webs and wove it on my 8 shaft baby wolf using doubleweave. It's done in plain weave to minimize the baby pulling on threads. (My two year old has a twill blanket and he likes pulling threads out!) It's very soft, and I'm extremely happy with how it turned out! I can't wait to wrap our new little baby in it!
I've been dying to make David a pair of pants from the 8-shaft pinwheel pattern, but I always chicken out at the last minute because I'm afraid that the 4-thread float will be too long. But this time, I decided to not let it scare me! I made it out of 16/2 thread so it will be very fine fabric and also the 4-thread float can be very short! While weaving the pinwheel fabric, I decided that I really wanted to make a matching fabric, since the pants pattern I have takes two fabrics. But I had to think about what wouldn't clash with the already busy pinwheels. I chose plain weave with the green and one thread of the teal every 1/2". I wove 8 yards of the pinwheel fabric, and I'm currently working on weaving 5 yards of the plain fabric. I'm about 75% done with the plain weave!
While designing these fabrics, I decided that I really liked the designing part! I started thinking while weaving the fabric if I could actually print on fabric. After a little research, I found some ink that is oil-based, but cleans up with soap and water. It's the Speedball brand, and you have to let it set 1 week before washing. I just barely made the samples last week, but here they are! I just washed them up today and the ink seems to be holding ok! Here are my samples:
I can't believe January is almost over, and I never even shared my Christmas towels I made for family! "Where is 2016 going?" I'm already asking myself!
Here are the Christmas towels that I promised to show you so long ago! These were so much fun to make and didn't take as much thought to do as you would fear!
I didn't follow any particular pattern. When I sat down to thread
my loom, I did more of a profile draft style threading but I didn't write
it down first I just do it from my head. Same thing for treadling- I didn't have that written down first I just followed a profile-like
draft from my head. So it was all somewhat of a surprise to me as I went!
The towels I made were from 12/2 cotton. I warped 6 yards, and the epi was 24. Made 8 towels total.
Just a little reminder... When threading for summer and winter….
block 1 = 1 3 2 3
block 2 = 1 4 2 4
block 3 = 1 5 2 5
block 4 = 1 6 2 6
block 5 = 1 7 2 7
block 6 = 1 8 2 8