Monday, January 30, 2012

It's not recommended that you hold your breath for 6 minutes.

I have started the plans for the armadillo skins, which is a twill fabric.  I will be using the same 3 colors that I used in the armor fabric.  The sett will be 30 epi and I plan on warping 5 yards to hopefully make 8 armadillos!  I plan on making the body fabric a little bit wider also to speed up the weaving time.  Instead of weaving it 14" across, I'm weaving it at 24" across.  That way I can fit 2 sides of the body and 2 sides of the smaller inside tummy parts all in a line.  I really want to have at least 2 armadillos completely done before the weekend of Feb. 10!

I used my washed and dried armor fabric to predict what I needed for the body fabric.  I enlarged Amy's pattern to 200%, so it was basically doubled from the original.  But I noticed that things don't line up quite right on the shell fabric.  I predicted the dots/pyramid stripes well, but I'm off by just a little less than 1/2 inch.  I wove things so close together that there is no room to spare between the parts.  So I think I am going to enlarge the pattern again, but at 190%.  That should fit everything.

Here is a sample of the twill I plan on weaving for the body fabric:



Here are some other combinations that I don't like as much as the above combination:




Did you know....?  Armadillos can hold inflate their lungs with air to become bigger so they can scare away preditors.  Also, they can use this ability to float in water or hold their breath for up to 6 minutes under water!