Monday, August 29, 2011

The first 50 lbs of apples!!!

Here's our first 50 lbs of apples!!!!  We are so excited because last year we got 2 apples total... this year is so much better!!!!  The trees bloomed after a spring snow, so we actually lost the peaches to the snow but thankfully the apples weren't around to get frosted.


 We wash them...



And cut them... 
They are kind of small so I decided to cut them by hand instead of with the apple slicer.  I figured that we would lose too much apple if I did it with the slicer.



 Very little loss!!


Soak them in lemon juice and water to keep them from browning... 

 

My apple cutting station... 


 If I fill up one side of the sink with cut apples, it means that my 20 quart stock pot will be full to the brim!


 
And yes, it is quite full!

After cooking them for awhile, I blend it in the blender.  These are my applesauce holding stations... 


 


 Then add it all back to the pot with the sugar and spices...




Fill up the jars and boil in a hot water bath... this is what I had left after 7 quart jars!  So I will have to do another batch.



And store it away for the winter and spring!!!


Yum!!  I love canning season!!!