Thursday, May 10, 2012

I don't need a man to grill my chicken!

I've decided that I need to learn to do things on my own.  I mean, last week I cut down a peach tree all by myself, weeded the yard, AND cleaned out the garden bed in front.  So this week when I wanted grilled chicken, I thought, "Why not do it myself?  I don't need a man to grill my chicken!"  This is really quite brave of me, but I got out the charcoal and started the grill by myself and slapped those little chickies on it!  I just rubbed some olive oil on the chicken and added a little dash of salt and pepper.  I really wanted to just smoke them a little bit with apple wood.  Last time we pruned our apple trees, we kept some of the wood and it makes the grilled meat tastes so good, almost like bacon!  And one piece of wood has gone through about 3-4 grillings now.

So, here's my chicken a grillin' in the apple wood smoke:



 And it made such a wonderful salad!  I topped it with sheep's milk cheese I found on sale at the store.  It tastes a lot like feta.


 And for the side I made square biscuits from scratch.  They were so good warm from the oven and and smothered with butter and honey!




I've never cooked for just myself before so this was quite a treat!  I'm going to enjoy my summertime so much more this year now that I have my grilling skills!

Biscuits:

2 1/4 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup butter
1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.  In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.  Using a pastry blender, cut shortening and butter into flour.  Add milk and stir with fork.  On floured surface, toss lightly until no longer sticky.   Roll out to 1/2 in thick and cut into squares.  Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.  Makes about a dozen biscuits.