Saturday, July 26, 2014

Everything but the sink... I mean pink

So far, I'm not putting much thought into the color rotations, mainly because the baby has sucked my brains dry right now, and I just don't want to put a lot of thought into it anyway.  I just like the whole free-range weaving theory... just let it go.  "Light, dark, light, dark" is all I'm working about right now!  It's summer-time weaving... my favorite season!  Although I'm not sure I told you the good news yet!  I'm going back part-time next school year.  I am going to job share with another teacher who also had a son 6 days before me, and she too named her son David!  What a small world!  We also went to the exact same university at the exact same time!  She's also from Arizona, and her mom and my mom have the same first names.  I'm sure there's more, but we'll have to discover it as we go along.  Anyway, I will work 2 days, and she'll work 2 days.  It will be WONDERFUL!  I can already tell by my stress levels being so much lower than usual.  And if it works well this year, we might be able to pull it off again next year if we want to!


 
I can't say I have fallen in love with it at first sight like I do with some of my other weaving, but it's neat looking and I do like it!  It's just not quite what I thought it would look like at this pint, but it will probably grow on me after I get going in my color rotations. For starters, I only wound 6 bobbins to get going, but if I had all 18 colors, things would probably be different.



For right now, I'm starting and stopping the colors at the edges.  For lights, it's on the left and for darks, it's on the right.  I'm leaving tails, and it's not because I know what I'm going to do with them yet, but because I don't want to tuck them in and have my weaving grow more on the sides and less in the middle.  With this many color changes, the weaving could quickly grow U-shaped if I tuck in each end at the start and stop. I'm thinking I can either weave them in by hand later, or cut them off completely, or serge all 4 sides and turn them under, or serge all 4 sides and sew on a light binding.  For now, I figure there's plenty of time to worry about it later!