Tuesday, March 13, 2012

3,604 square inches

 I'm always amazed when I lay the fabric out to look at the whole length stretched across a room!
Wow!  What a sight!


 In this view, you can see some of the weave structure before it's washed.  I used a #8 reed with 3 threads per dent.  It made it look strangely grouped, but I know it will wash out and look really nice.  You can also see those "floats" that emphasize the pattern.


 It's the perfect colors for a lion!!!  I like to think of the rust yarn as chili colored instead.  And the butter yellow as mustard... I don't know why but those two new names of Chili and Mustard sound so much more exciting than Rust and Butter.


 I LOVE LOVE LOVE the shadow weave!  I want to do more someday!



Fabric facts before washing: warped 6 yards at 25 inches across, on the loom it shrank down to 23" across, and off the loom it was 5 yards long. 


After a trip through the washer and dryer, the gaps closed up real nice:



It matches Zip almost perfectly...


Finished size across: 22.25 inches (wow, I was aiming for 22 inches!)
Finished length: 4.5 yards







Let's start cutting and sewing!


Lion facts:
·        The mane of the adult male lion is one of the most distinctive characteristics of the species.
·        It makes the lion appear larger which aids the lion during confrontations with other lions and predators.
·        The presence, absence, color, and size of the mane is associated with genetic precondition, maturity, climate, and testosterone production.
·        The rule of thumb is the darker and fuller the mane, the healthier the lion.