Sunday, March 4, 2012

Duped? Almost.

When I first started planning for the lion, I saw the word "shadow weave" and just assumed a tabby sett.  And I would like to inform you that I was right.  But for a second there when I was tying up the treadles for the weave structure, I thought I had been duped because the tie-up looks just liked a twill... and it really made me stop and think about my thought process and why I chose the sett I did! 
I'm most familiar with using the Powell method for shadow weave, so this was new to me.  But looking around at other shadow weave drafts, it's pretty common to find a twill tie-up. 


I am also happy to inform you, I have 1 inch woven so far and the treadling was super easy.  The treadles are following a really easy pattern and it's quite simple to keep the light and dark shots separated from each other.  Like at first all the dark treadles are the 1-4, and then it switches to 5-8 on the 2nd half.  I'm glad that it will be relatively simple to memorize!  And it's not because I love a good challenge, I just want something relaxing.




The very bottom is a usual tabby tie-up, like treadles 1-3-5-7 and then 2-4-6-8.  It doesn't look so good because the threading isn't to make tabby with this tie-up!

I'm excited to see what it looks like when I continue this pattern a little bit more!
 Here is my cheerful audience:




Lion facts:
  • If kept in captivity, lions can live past age 20.
  • Males weigh around 400 lbs, females around 290 lbs.
  • Heaviest lion is 826 lbs.