Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Purpose of Armadillo Armor

Maybe it's just the science teacher in me, but I am fascinated with learning some facts about each animal I am making.  Armadillos have some cool traits!!



I was doing some research the other day and came across this interesting tidbit: Armadillos are the only mammal that can bend and curl up into a ball with a hard outer shell!






Here are the steps they take to curl up into a ball:





Wow, I wish I could do this sometimes!











I finally finished weaving all the armadillo armors!  I was expecting to get 4 armadillos, but I ended up with 8 armor pieces!  But that's ok because all the gators sold like wildfire... so now I want to try and weave 8 armadillos so I'll have some extras! This fabric is fresh from the loom and before washing.



According to my calculations, if I make the fabric 10" wider (24" instead of 14"), then I can fit the entire armadillo body in the same amount of length it took to weave the shell.  But I am going to add just a little extra because that's cutting it so close!  So I'm going to warp 5 yards of fabric for the bodies.




I love these dots!  And these colors!




And one last little pic here...
Couldn't resist a picture of this cute little guy enjoying the beginning sounds of a few spring birds!