Thursday, November 10, 2011

Good News and Pumpkin Bread

I'll start off with the really great news that we received yesterday!  My husband is a former helicopter pilot and has been unemployed for the last 18 months, but he has spent the last 6 months training to become a certified flight instructor for airplanes.  Yesterday Brian finally passed the flight instructor test for airplanes!  Yay!  We are so excited to be moving in a forward direction again!  Sometimes the only thing that got me through these hard times has been weaving! (Thank goodness for weaving!!!  In fact, the name of my blog "weave-away" refers to these hard times that I am weaving through and weaving away.  I always feel better after a good weaving session!)  We are so happy to have made it through these hard times.  And we can't wait to see what the next year brings for us!

And now, onto the pumpkin bread...  My mom has been making this recipe for years and years and years!  It's super moist and tasty.  I have noticed it's much darker and tastier than most pumpkin bread recipes out there.  Give it a try!

Pumpkin Bread

2 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp allspice

1 large can pumpkin
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 cup oil

optional ingredients:
2 cups nuts
2 cups raisins

Mix dry ingredients in large bowl.  Mix wet ingredients in bowl, add to dry ingredients.  Mix well.  Add nuts and/or raisins.  Grease 3 loaf pans.  Poor batter into these and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, until done.  Cool slightly and remove from pans.