Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Bertha Gray Hayes


One of my weaving heroes is Bertha Gray Hayes.  I am just amazed by her miniature overshot patterns.  There is a book with all of her patterns in it, and it's a wonderful book.  If you get a chance to look at it, you will see.  I love the names she gives to her overshot patterns. 




This is her pattern called Lambeth Walk.  It is really crazy in black and white! 




Here's a closer look!  I have this hanging in my classroom at school for the kids to enjoy.  We discuss it during our optical illusions unit.


And this one is Trellis.  I tried 3 different pattern colors for this one, but I like the bright colors the best.  It really modernizes it.  The back is really neat looking, also. 


Back design in one of the other colors.


The colors in this one just don't have enough contrast.
  

If you want to see more of Bertha's patterns, they located in the August and September 1956 Shuttle-Craft bulletin.