Sunday, June 10, 2012

Pieces of my closet

I have decided to go on a yarn and fiber fast, until I can get control of my closet again, and I want it to take about a year to get through it.  It's actually 2 closets now... and maybe a few shelves... but I will start with the worst of it all!

Maybe I should start like an AA meeting... but it can be a YA meeting (Yarnaholics Anonymous)

Hi, my name is Amanda and I'm a yarnaholic.  This is my closet:


A few weeks ago, it was looking pretty good.  In fact, it looked so good that my husband complimented me on it.

That was in March.

I don't know what happened... a little of this, a little of that... and this is what you get.  A culmination of clutter. 

So...

Before you rip into me about my clutter or my crazy challenge, let me assure you it's just this one area.  I have spent a lot of time and effort de-cluttering the whole house!  And it looks real good!

But this one closet.

Here is the color-coded tour:
  • In light purple, we have my favorite 12/2 cottons... those will be preserved and saved!
  • In light blue, we have some wool for scarves, same story as the 12/2 cotton!
  • In light pink, we have one of those UFO projects that has been moved to 3 different housing areas.  Might be time to do something about it before it makes it to a 4th, which won't be for a long time... hence the reason it's time to do something about it!
  • In baby blue, we have some rug yarn, so that needs to get used up.
  • In red, we have some alpaca to spin.... LOTS AND LOTS OF IT!  In fact, I'm sure I could whip up 3 or 4 shawls from it!  I need to wash it first and then I can card it and spin it and then weave it!!
  • In yellow, we have a mix of 8/2 and 8/4 cottons that will make great towels.
  • Behind the spinning wheel is more rug yarn.
  • In green, is my new cotton and linen I just got recently, and I'm not sure how to use it yet.
  • In orange, I have my finished projects, they are being saved as gifts.  So when Christmas comes, look out family and friends!!

But as you can see, it IS time to do a yearly stash-reduction exercise and get through some of this stuff!  NO MORE BUYING until I can do some PROCESSING! 

And you know what?  This isn't all my stash.  No...

This closet doesn't even include the shelves...

Yes, THE shelves...


Ay, yi, yi!  Floor to ceiling of yarn, fluff to spin, and a few supplies...

Ugh.

It's almost overwhelming to have too much stuff.  I can power through this!