Sunday, February 19, 2012

spring colds, field trips, and 5 more armadillos

What a last few days this has been... I feel like everything has come to a halt and I'm feeling behind.  I have been sick with a nasty cold or something of the sort that was probably given to me from one of my loving students.  It has really slowed me down!  Usually I can work for 12-14 hour stretches on weekends, but lately I have only had anywhere from 15 min to 1 hr of bursts of energy between naps.  I'm sure going on the field trip last week set me back a few days.  My students at least appreciated it, and I had such a great time getting to know a few of them a little bit better.  In fact, we have many things in common.  I think my more fun and relax persona also surprised them a little bit!  We also learned some cool science things.

I feel like I have a million and one things started!  I started my lions before I finished the whole trellis runner, then I got an order for some trellis tableware as well as 3 more armadillos!  Yikes... I should just give up my day job and go to weaving for a living!


So I am setting the lion project aside for now.  You will get to see them one of these days when I get all caught up.  I have to get back on an even flow!  I am going to rewind and do some more armadillos, which means I have to take my lion stuff off the 8-shaft loom.  It's okay because I haven't yet threaded all the heddles so I can just pop the reed out and set it aside for awhile.  I need to make 5 armadillo shells, so maybe a 2 yard warp will cover that.  I'm almost out of dark brown, so I'm going to have to improvise with maybe some rust or solid gold.  It will be the 2nd generation armadillo!  I used some brown claws to also set them apart a little bit.  I also need to finish my crayon trellis project and save the threading on the loom so I can just tie on with the new trellis project.  I've never done that before but the thought seems really exciting to me!  The first one is already on its way to Brazil, so I just have to finish the 2nd half of the warp.  On the current trellis warp I have a short runner for my own dining room table and another longer one to save either for a gift or to sell.  My head is so congested that the thought of the banging shafts and heddles just sets me over the edge.  I also have some orders for some rainbow scarves, but the purple is on back order along with the perle cotton for the tableware.  It will all come together one of these days!  I love the extra business and support from my friends!